Whitehaven RLFC 27 - 6 Newcastle Thunder

Whitehaven RLFC 27 - 6 Newcastle Thunder thunder.champmodel.dyndns.info

7th August 2017

Newcastle Thunder endured a tough afternoon in Cumbria on Sunday as the toiled to a 27-6 loss to Whitehaven on a drab day on the West coast.

In rain-soaked conditions at the Recreation Ground, Thunder were aiming to get their Kingstone Press Super 8s campaign off the mark following their round one loss to Workington but we’re unable to prevail against Carl Forster’s side, who have lost only twice all season.

Thunder were a try behind ten minutes in after a quick fire start from the hosts and it could have been more but for some committed defending.

The breakthrough came from Dion Aiye, who was to go on and prove to be a hat-trick hero for the Cumbrians, who avoided the attentions of the Thunder defence to finish off a period of pressure from close range.

Following a long period where neither side were able to make a telling break, with Thunder going closest when Benn Hardcastle attempted a nicely weighted grubber through, Whitehaven doubled their lead through Elliott Miller as the fullback finished a move started deep in the home half by Aiye.

Scoring again as half time approached, an 18-0 advantage looked a strong one, but Thunder were still showing plenty of fight after the resumption.

Their tenacity saw Haven’s Paul Crook opt for a drop goal on 48 minutes to get the scoreboard back moving and as in the first half, both sides were able to frustrate each other’s efforts until the final 10 minutes, when a flurry of points were scored.

Having enjoyed arguably the better opportunities in the build up to the games conclusion, having forced Whitehaven into defending four consecutive sets, Thunder had the game effectively put out of reach by two tries from Ayie

Jason Payne’s side did however avoid the dreaded nil score-line with one of the last plays of the game, when hooker Evan Simons wriggled and dived through to score by the posts from the play the ball, with Hardcastle adding the extras.

Thunder’s next match will see them take on Cumbrian opponents for a third successive week when Barrow Raiders visit Kingston Park on Saturday (KO 7pm)

Whitehaven: Miller, Thompson, Taylor, Parker, Burns, Roper, Crook, Shackley, Tilley, Forster, Aiye, McAvoy, Olsrom, Newton, Holliday, Riley, Holland.

Tries: Aiye (3), Miller, Parker. Goals: Crook (3). Drop goal: Crook.

Newastle Thujnder: Young, Brown, Craig, Olpherts, Blair, Shaw, Hardcatle, McAvoy, Simons, Clarke, H. Aldous, Snitch, J. Aldous, Bustin, Luckley, Rennie, Teroi.

Try: Simons. Goal: Hardcastle.

Penalties: 7-10

Referee: Steve Race

Crowd: 539

Half-time: 18-0

Whitehaven RLFC 27 - 6 Newcastle Thunder thunder.champmodel.dyndns.info